St. Francis House, a non-denominational nonprofit organization, is the largest day shelter in Massachusetts. Located in the heart of downtown Boston, we serve a diverse population of, on average, 500 poor and homeless men and women each day, 365 days a year.
As a leader in the field of homeless services, St. Francis House is a strong, vibrant organization. Building on our strong foundation of basic and rehabilitative programs, St. Francis House will grow and deepen our impact by further developing our focus on recovery and our employment and housing programs.
We ensure that we are doing the very best we can for those we serve by continuing to build a data-driven, outcomes-oriented culture that emphasizes the importance of continuous learning and growth. To achieve our vision, the agency is making significant investments in our staff across the agency. Check out our amazing benefits!
If you want to make an impact in the lives of others, we want to invest in you. We are especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity within our organization.
St. Francis House recognizes our employees are our greatest asset and embraces a dynamic and diverse workforce. We are committed to the success of our employees and we promote a culture that values professional development and high performance.We are currently seeking a Director of Human Resources to be responsible for providing leadership and oversight for all human resources functions and providing strategic leadership and direction to maximize staff engagement and satisfaction by programs including Talent Acquisition and Management, Employee Relations, Compensation, Benefits, and Staff Training and Development.
- Plans, implements, and directs the Agency’s Human Resource function and performance.Manages the two staff positions in the Human Resources Department
- Participates in the development of the Agency’s plans and provides strategic, functional expertise, thought leadership and coaching as an active member of the Senior Leadership Team
- Establishes departmental objectives that support the accomplishment of the Agency’s strategic goals.
- Directs the preparation and maintenance of reports as necessary to carry out the functions of the department.
- Prepares periodic reports for management, as necessary or requested, to track strategic goal accomplishment
- Develops and implements programs to allow the Agency to embrace applicants and employees of all backgrounds and to promote the full development and performance of all employees.Takes a leadership role on the Agency’s Diversity and Inclusivity Committee
- Develops and implements staffing strategies and programs to identify talent both within and outside the Agency
- Oversees talent management from recruitment to onboarding
- Ensures positive work environment and staff engagement. Oversees training and leadership development, retention, recognition, employee communication and career development. Assesses and evaluates training and staff development needs, and develops programs to meet needs
- Determines and recommends employee relations practices necessary to establish positive employer-employee relationships and promote a high level or employee morale and motivation.
- Develops and maintains performance management programs and provides assistance to employees and supervisors with questions and workplace issues
- Develops and manages compensation and benefit programs, including job descriptions and classifications, salary structure and salary adjustments.
- Oversees benefit plan communication, enrollment and administration including but not limited to FMLA, short and long term disability, workers compensation, and health insurance
- Maintains an effective program of compliance with laws and regulations related to human resources and manages relationships with legal and compliance agencies
- Actively engages with employees at all levels to promote positive and constructive employee relations
- In coordination with Agency management, develops and documents appropriate personnel policies and programs for effective management of staff including employee relations, affirmative action, sexual harassment, and employee safety and wellness
- Provides leadership and consulting support on Human Resource matters of policy and supervising staff
- Monitors latest trends in Human Resources and ensures that St. Francis House remains at a strong competitive advantage
- Serves as liaison with the Finance Department to ensure that all information required for payroll processing is timely and accurately received by finance and that all benefits
Bachelor’s degree in relevant field (Master’s Degree preferred); and ten to fifteen years related experience preferably in a nonprofit setting; or equivalent combination of education and experience.SHRM certification a plus.Must be fluent in English, both written and verbal; Bi-lingual in Spanish a plus. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Skills as an HR generalist with broad knowledge and experience in employment law, compensation, organizational planning, organizational development, employee relations, safety, and training and development and a commitment to keeping current and proficient with necessary skills and knowledge
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and ability to exercise sound judgment
- Detail orientation, ability to multi-task, and willingness to work in a team-oriented environment
- Professionalism and the ability to translate SFH’s mission and culture into staff centered activities and services
- Integrity by working with passion, commitment, and honesty, acting in the best interests of the Agency and staff
- A collaborating and caring manner interacting with insight, sincerity, and compassion
- Recognition and respect for diversity in all forms
- Commitment to strive for excellence in the fulfillment of SFH’s mission through quality, innovation, and continuous learning
- Initiative, flexibility, and openness to change
Compensation & Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary and extensive benefits including:
- Medical and Dental Insurance
- Employer paid Life, Short/Long Term Disability Insurance
- Four weeks paid Vacation per year
- Twelve paid Holidays per year
- Twelve paid Sick Days per year
- 403(b) Retirement Plan with 5% Employer Match
How to Apply:
Confidential applications (resume and cover letter) should be addressed to email@example.com. No phone calls please.Put “St. Francis House in the subject line and tell us how you learned of this opportunity. St. Francis House is an equal opportunity employer.