OpenBiome, based in Somerville, MA, is a nonprofit healthcare organization expanding clinical access to Fecal Microbiota Transplantation (FMT) and catalyzing research into the human microbiome.
In less than four years of operations, OpenBiome’s stool banking service has redefined the standard of care for this emerging field. Today they support FMT programs at over 800 medical centers across all 50 states and 6 countries. OpenBiome has delivered over 20,000 treatments for recurrent C. difficile patients, radically improving the lives of thousands of patients that lack treatment alternatives.
OpenBiome has also emerged as a leading independent research organization. As leaders in the microbiome field, we have developed a new pill formulation for FMT, published over a dozen scholarly works and launched 15 clinical trials to identify new applications for FMT. Our team is at the vanguard of developing an understanding of how the microbes in our bodies are implicated in major public health challenges.
Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), the Director of Finance and Administration will implement the infrastructure and systems needed to support OpenBiome’s strategic objectives. He or she will be responsible for the oversight of administrative and financial systems including finance, accounting, information technology, and human resources.
The Director of Finance and Administration will work closely with the ED and the senior team in managing the execution of OpenBiome’s mission including the following activities:
- Oversee budgeting, forecasting, and financial planning at OpenBiome
- Manage sales of our core products to our extensive partner network
- Oversee administration, budgeting, and reporting on existing and future grants from both private and public funders
- Lead resource planning and tracking for numerous clinical research studies led or managed by OpenBiome’s Clinical Research team
- Serve as key liaison to the Board of Directors’ Finance Committee, working closely with the committee to strengthen OpenBiome’s financial position and other items as required.
This executive will have direct management responsibility for a staff of four, which includes a staff accountant, junior accountant, Grant Manager and HR Manager.
Finance and Budgeting
The Director of Finance and Administration will have overall financial management responsibility including:
- Budgeting, financial forecasting, and cash flow management
- Monitoring sales reports, accounts payable, and accounts receivable
- Review and approval of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reporting materials and metrics for the ED and Board of Directors.
- Oversight of risk management and fiscal control policies
- Coordination of audit activities
- Preparation and submission of tax reports, e.g., Form 990, Form MA-PC, etc.
The ideal candidate will not only be able to reconcile financial activities but should also be skilled at capturing key data and processes and reporting to senior management
The Director of Finance & Administration will serve as a partner to the ED on the organization’s administrative and operational processes, with a goal of continuously developing and improving back-office systems including:
- Overseeing HR function including payroll, employee benefits, compliance reporting, recruiting, and talent management
- Facilities management and legal coordination
- Managing our outsourced IT services provider
- 7+ years of experience, with 3-5+ years managing the financial administration of a $5-10+ million organization or business unit
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree and/or CPA preferred
- Demonstrated experience in financial management and accounting
- Working knowledge of grant management and/or government contracts is required
- Experience with audit, legal compliance, and budget development
- Experience leading planning efforts and running operationally effective organizations that have multiple functional areas
- Nonprofit experience is a must, with a strong preference for someone who has operated in a dynamic, fast-growing environment
- Experience effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, the Board or other outside partners/influencers/clients
- Must be legally eligible to work in the United States
- Success seeing beyond the numbers, identifying trends and new possibilities
- Passion for the mission
- Excellent interpersonal and team skills
- Outstanding communications skills, written and oral
- Proven effectiveness managing others, empowering them to make decisions
- Hands-on and leads by example
- Values diversity of thought, backgrounds and perspectives
- Ability to multitask while maintaining vigilant attention to details
- Integrity and ethics beyond reproach
- Constantly looking to apply best practices
HOW TO APPLY
Potential candidates should review the website, www.openbiome.org, to familiarize themselves with the mission before applying. Interested applicants should then email a resume AND cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls please. Be sure to put OpenBiome Finance in subject line and tell us how you learned of this opportunity. OPENBIOME is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity and seeks qualified applicants without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, gender identity, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation.