African Voices Communications, Inc.
Chairperson of the Board of Directors
Are you a strong, dynamic leader prepared to steward a legacy arts institution run by people of color into the future?
We’re seeking a hard-working philanthropic visionary who knows the bridge to building an institution begins with community service and innovative ideas to century old challenges.
We are not “underserved”, we are privileged to create a new paradigm for community development that begins with your voice and actions.
About African Voices
African Voices Communications, Inc., a non-profit arts organization, is dedicated to fostering cultural understanding through art, literature and film. African Voices receives city, state and federal funding as well as support from private donors and members. The organization serves NYC’s vibrant arts community through the following public programs: 1) African Voices, a literary publication for emerging artists, has partnered with Spelman College to archive its collection; 2) Reel Sisters of the Diaspora Film Festival & Lecture Series, an Oscar qualifying film festival devoted to providing opportunities for women of color in the film industry; 3) the African Voices Writing Workshop for adults; and 4) the “Arts for Kids: Get Your Read On! (GYRO!),” a STEM program (Storytelling & Architecture) that uses the arts to build young people’s reading, writing and oratory skills.
For more information, please visit at www.africanvoices.net & www.reelsisters.org
Please submit resume and cover letter to Board Search Committee: firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a partner to the Executive Director and other board members, the Board Chair will provide leadership to a leading NYC based arts institution during a dynamic period of growth. The Board Chair will support and sustain the work of African Voices, and provide governance leadership and strategic fundraising support. Specific responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance, and oversight
- Being a trusted advisor to the Executive Director as she develops and implements African Voices’ two-year strategic plan
- Developing and managing relationships and communicating with: funders, partners, members and other stakeholders
- The Board Chair will partner with the Executive Director (ED) and executive committee to create meeting agendas. While other board members may assist in drafting or reporting at regular board meetings, the board chair must have the communication and time-management skills needed to drive strategic conversations and action.
- As a board member, approving African Voices’ annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Lead our board members and advisory board in expanding African Voices’ membership program by creatively energizing our current subscribers, volunteers and constituents
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by African Voices for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics
- Coordinating an annual performance evaluation of the Board and Executive Director
- Assisting the Executive Director and Nominating Committee in recruiting board members
- Periodically consulting with board members on their roles and helping them assess their performance
- Planning, presiding over, and facilitating board and committee meetings; partnering with the Executive Director to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring African Voices’ commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities it serves
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, generating substantial annual revenue and fostering African Voices’ overall financial health
- Personally treating African Voices as a top philanthropic priority reflected in an annual financial gift
- Ensuring that 100 percent of African Voices’ board members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity
- Identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major individual donors, corporate, and/or foundation gifts
African Voices’ Board Chair (and board members) will serve a three-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. Board meetings will be held three times a year and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings.
Annual Board contribution is $500 (give or get).
Must be an exceptional communicator with a proven track record as a leader with community and business ties. This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about the success of African Voices’ vision and history. The selected Board Chair will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing board members. Be ready to roll up your sleeves and begin your tenure once your position is approved by our executive search committee.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- Demonstrated success as a nonprofit board member or board chair
- Track record of building credibility in the funding community that has resulted in major gifts to a nonprofit
- A commitment to and understanding of African Voices’ beneficiaries and mission preferably based on experience
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Excellent written and oral communication skills coupled with natural affinity for public speaking
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of African Voices’ beneficiaries
Service on African Voices’ board of directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to board members’ duties.