Step by Step Supportive Services, Inc. (SbS;), a dynamic nonprofit and financially sound healthcare services provider in the Boston area provides uniquely customized, yet comparatively affordable residential and outreach support services and programming to adults with psychiatric, social and/or cognitive disabilities. The program’s innovative, self-empowering approach builds upon a ten-year track record of proven success at enabling clients to achieve increased personal growth and fulfillment, self-sufficiency, and social/community engagement. Anyone interested in more detail about the program is encouraged to review the website at www.stepbystepss.org.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, this Executive Director (ED) will be entrepreneurial, skilled, experienced, and committed to overseeing and strengthening the SbS operations. Together with the SbS Board, this E.D. develop and execute a strategic plan focused on replication and long-term sustainability. The E.D. will have overall responsibility for maintaining the SbS standard of excellence and integrity while building upon its current success to realize its long-term potential. S/he will directly supervise the Chief Financial Officer, the Clinical Director, the Director of Residential Services, and the Director of Community Based Services, and will oversee all operations, infrastructure, communications, financial resources, development and PR.
This position presents an exciting opportunity to lead a pioneering, exceptionally successful approach to ensure that effective support is made available to a desperately underserved, rapidly expanding population. Financially sound, with expanding programming and affiliations, SbS is now in an exciting position to develop its current capabilities and examine its long-range potential.
Strategic Vision and Board Relations
- Provide the vision, direction, and guidance to ensure present and long-term financial security, operational success, and programmatic excellence
- Collaborate closely with the Board of Directors to develop and effectively execute a strategic plan and serve as a strategic leader and visionary for SbS, ensuring the successful development and execution of new and current initiatives and programs
- Develop and use effective impact and progress measurements in order to evaluate, track, record, and communicate results
- Help to build an Advisory Board as well as other affiliations and supports
- Help the Board to optimize its involvement, effectiveness, and direction
Team Leadership and Management
- Oversee, guide and empower the SbS senior management team and staff, which is responsible for day-to-day operations and program oversight and execution
- Inspire cohesion, enthusiasm, and confidence; foster a safe, congenial, respectful, rewarding work environment
- Be adept at anticipating, preventing, and managing interpersonal issues or conflicts to achieve a positive outcome
- Maintain transparency, accountability, and inclusion; establish open, constructive communication and information sharing, responsible decision-making, and timely follow-through.
- Oversee and direct the organization’s day-to-day operations, infrastructure, and staffing to best serve the needs and goals of its clients and their families
- Maximize effectiveness and efficiency while upholding SbS’ intimate, personalized, creative culture
- Maintain responsible cost efficiencies and controls together with systems and resource optimization
- Assume overall responsibility and accountability for the annual budget, establishing guidelines and ensuring proper ongoing fiscal accounting and controls as well as legal and fiduciary compliance
- Manage staff and administration compensation, guidelines, evaluation, policies and procedures, hiring, and termination.
Program Growth and Oversight
- Oversee and manage the quality, integrity, and delivery of programming and services
- Represent SbS to prospective clients and family members as well as other interested parties
- Interface with diverse constituents: staff, clients, families, third parties, advisors, and affiliates
- Fairly and constructively help to resolve issues or questions that arise; occasionally deal with emergencies according to prearranged plan, or in conjunction with experts, advisors, and family members
- Foster creative approaches to programming to serve the clients’ and the organization’s needs
Fundraising, Communications, and Public Relations
- Work with the Development and Marketing Advisor to devise strategies for generating revenue and increasing awareness and support for SbS. This includes developing branding and messaging, tools to build awareness, positioning, and productive outreach.
- Cultivate prospects, new opportunities, and means of involvement: affiliations, networks, supportive financial/participatory relationships, and revenue/referral sources
- Represent and promote Step by Step, its ideology and its success: on the Internet, in publications, and at events, activities, and venues.
- Galvanize support. Inspire enthusiasm and engagement; develop and participate in fundraising and promotional strategies.
- Ideal candidates will have a solid working knowledge of operational and strategic management and development, and experience or credentials in psychiatric, social and/or cognitive issues.
- An advanced degree in a related field and six years of hands-on, executive level non-profit management
- A track record of effective and judicious leadership, organizational development, and supervision of a multi-faceted dynamic program
- A deep-seated sense of responsibility, integrity, caring, and loyalty. Familiarity and experience with mental health disorders, treatments, facilities and support systems, issues and trends.
- Exceptionally strong communication and interpersonal skills. Adept at constructive negotiation, coalition building, and decision-making.
- Able to inspire trust, active engagement, and passionate commitment, and to promote a congenial, unified, productive work setting
- A demonstrated ability to organize and supervise staff, programming, and operations, and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the organization’s diverse participants and entities
- Adept at thinking outside the box and at on-the-spot problem solving
- Approachable, reliable, even-keeled and clear-headed in a fast-paced, occasionally challenging environment
- A self-starter who can anticipate, stay on point, follow through, and delegate when needed
- Able to identify and attract opportunities for growth, support, and impact, and guide them to fruition
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should review the website, www.stepbystepss.org, before applying. Applicants should email a resume and a one-page cover letter outlining how they would fit into this position to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or hard copies please. Do put Step by Step in the subject line and tell us how you learned of this opportunity. Step by Step Supportive Services is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity and seeks qualified applicants without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, gender identity, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work expected for this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time as needed.